Grounding is a practice that helps you connect with the earth energy and keeps you calm and centered at all times. Grounding can be done anytime, anywhere and by anyone whenever needed.
What are Grounding Techniques?
Grounding Techniques are specific techniques that help you focus your attention on the present moment and bring a sense of calm and balance to your mind. Grounding also helps your body heal faster from any illnesses.
There are many Physical Grounding Techniques as well as Mental Grounding Techniques that distract your mind from any negative thought and help you achieve calm and focus in times of distress.
When to Practice Grounding Techniques?
Whenever you feel imbalanced, disoriented, demotivated, and disconnected you can practice grounding.
It is especially helpful for those with anxiety disorder, panic disorder, or dealing with Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Regular Grounding helps in healing from trauma.
Grounding exercise can be done daily as part of a morning ritual for a focused mind or at night before sleeping for a calm mind and restful sleep.
Why do we need to stay Grounded?
Being “grounded” means that you’re mentally present in your body and connected with the earth energy and has numerous benefits
- Being grounded helps you stay more focused on your goals and in touch with yourself who you truly are and what you want to become.
- When you are grounded you are unaffected by negative emotions and are able to feel much more peaceful and balanced in your daily life.
- When you are grounded you are on your toes and energized. You have a positive outlook towards life and solutions easily come for all problems.
- Grounding keeps you healthy, improves circulation, and aids in better sleep.
- Regular Grounding exercise helps you better manage stress, anxiety, and other overwhelming emotion.
What does it mean to be Ungrounded or Imbalanced?
When you are ungrounded you tend to overthink all problems in your life. Your mind tends to attract anxious thoughts and you lose focus of your goals and start feeling demotivated and your body feels lethargic and unfit.
Easy Techniques to stay grounded and find your balance
Below are few easy techniques you can practice anytime to keep yourself grounded.
1. Grounding yourself through Mindfulness
One of the easiest and quickest methods for instant grounding is to practice this easy 5-4-3-2-1 technique to bring awareness to your senses and the present moment
- Name 5 things you can see around you.
- Name 4 things you can feel at the moment(“my feet on the cold floor” or “the breeze on my face”)
- Name 3 things you hear right now (“noise of the fan”)
- Name 2 things you can smell right now (or 2 smells you like)
- Name 1 thing you can taste
2. Grounding through Meditation
Before every meditation session, it is essential to do a grounding meditation to centre and balance your mind so you are able to focus and avoid distractions and sensation. Root chakra meditation also helps in grounding
A simple grounding technique before meditation
- Sit on a chair and place your hands palm down on your thighs or you can hold a grounding object like crystal in your palms.
- Place your feet firmly on the ground
- Take a deep breath and focus your attention on your physical body
- Visualize roots growing from the soles of your feet and expanding down towards earth slowly
- Keep visualizing till you can sense the roots have connected deeply into mother earth
- Now visualize a green beam of light protruding from the earth and connecting to your root chakra.
- Visualize this green earth energy entering through your root chakra and filling up your entire body centering and cleansing your body.
3. Grounding through Nature
Connecting with nature is the easiest way to get yourself grounded and connected to your source. All you need to do is touch the earth. Take your shoes off and walk barefoot through the grass, beach, garden.
Shinrin Yoku or Forest Bathing is a popular Japanese technique good for both physical and mental wellbeing. It is proven to reduce stress and anxiety, improve feelings of happiness and free up creativity, as well as boost the immune system and accelerate recovery from illness.
You can do grounding meditation amidst nature for a heightened experience and get the combined benefits of both techniques.
4. Grounding with Crystals
Certain crystals are popular as grounding stones as they exhibit essential properties for grounding your energy and provide protection from negative energies.
Certain crystals are known to be High Vibration Crystals and while using these stones it’s important to ground yourself using one of the grounding stones to avoid unwanted harm.
Popular crystals used for grounding are Black Tourmaline, Black Obsidian, Hematite, Red Jasper, Black Agate, Tigers Eye.
The easiest way to ground with crystals:
Find a quiet space, or just close your eyes and turn your focus inward. Hold your stone in your palm, relax your body, take a deep breath, and feel the sensations of your stone in your hands. Simply sit for 5 mins and let the stone do its grounding work.
5. Grounding with Essential Oils
Aromatherapy has been used for ages to treat different mind and body ailments. Certain oils and aromas are essential in all spiritual practices and are permanently used in spiritual spaces to help create an ambiance of calm and grounding.
To use essential oils for grounding you can simply rub a few drops onto the palm of your hands and deeply inhale their aroma. Then run your hands in a sweeping motion through your aura that surrounds the body at about 8-10 inches.
You can add a few grounding oil drops to your bath water or diffuser.
Essential oils also are known to raise your vibration and clear the space of any unwanted negative energies.
Popular fragrances are Patchouli, cedarwood, sandalwood, frankincense, Lavender, Juniper.
Other Ways to Ground Yourself
Breathing exercises are very simple and can be done anytime by anyone. Proper Breathing technique is especially helpful when you are having stress and anxiety symptoms.
Deep breathing or paced breathing during times of intense anxiety helps you deal with panic attack and other intense emotions.
Yoga is a popular medium of grounding through certain postures which help align your body to nature’s symmetry and gain balance and mental stability.
Water is nature’s elixir and healing gift to mankind. When you are adequately hydrated you feel more equipped to deal with stress, anxiety and have better coping skill to handle life’s problems.
Chanting a grounding prayer or writing down affirmations can provide a sense of balance and calm to a restless mind and works wonderfully to avoid anxiety attack and gives hope when healing from trauma.
Most of us have experienced some form of trauma, anxiety, panic disorder, or other unpleasant mental and physical sensations from time to time. Knowing the above easy grounding techniques will certainly help us be better prepared for such negative emotions. Practicing these techniques regularly will prevent any physical harm to your body through such intense emotions. Stay in touch for more such wonderful easy techniques for a healthier body and happier mind.